View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #714
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
KTM's shift away from rally racing would not be that surprising. It takes a huge investment to maintain teams with a virtual guarantee for 2 or 3 KTMs on the podium.

I like what KTM is doing right now. There was an interview article I read recently (CN?) that featured Jon-Erik Burleson who is the Pres of KTM USA. I got the impression that racing would continue to be a focus. He seemed pretty passionate about the whole concept, and pointed out that they produce many derivative products to suit particular nitches in their market, while traditional OEM's might only produce an enduro bike and a motocrosser. One look at the KTM enduro line up and its pretty obvious how they differentiate themselves and command a premium to boot.

KTM has had a good long run in Rallye Raid. They have always been solid in enduro type race bikes and finally after decades of failure they have a premium motocross effort. I would think MX/SX is where they need to invest now that they've got some talent running their programs. Maybe this Moto 3 thing can be even bigger, since it is pretty obvious that their Moto 3 factory bike is already the class of the paddock.

There will be 3 MotoGP rounds next season in North America. How many Raids?