View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #3879
Dan in Grand Rapids
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Same here, looks good.

I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

Which bedliner did you use? I use the Duplicolor and it looks okay in spots, but I had a HECK of a time getting it to adhere in places and it crinkled up like crazy. I am considering doing it all again.

Did you spray the frame, swingarm, forks,rims with the same bedliner? How is it holding up? I would like an all black bike, but I would think that the forks and rims would just get scratched up really quickly.

Which Pelican is that? 1450?

Thanks!
I used Rustoleum and Duplicolor to coat the bike, but I think I used more cans of Rustoleum. It came out really well and I did minimal prep work. I just lightly sanded, wiped it off and sprayed. It has now held up for 3 years while riding through the winters in Michigan. I never wash the bike, but I spray the salt off semi regularly in the winter. The frame, forks, and wheels I brushed on the coating and it still looks perfect. The bedliner is so thick that when brushed on the brush strokes don't even show up. All the places I brushed it on look like it was sprayed. When I spoon on new tires in the spring I will probably scrape some off the rims, but I can fix it in 5 minutes with a cheap brush and a little bedliner.

The pelican was a cheap ebay purchase about 6 years ago, and I think it is a 1500. A construction company was selling used orange pelican cases with holes cut in them for laptop fans for $10 a piece. I bought 3 of them and filled in the holes with plastic and epoxy and painted black. Doesn't look pretty or perfect, but it is on a KLR.
Dan in Grand Rapids is offline   Reply With Quote