View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #238
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
a mate of mine is looking at a dirt bike that will occasionally have to double as a pint sized adventure bike. he's looking at the CRF450 but i'm convinced he'd be better off with the WR450F as it should go a lot longer between engine rebuilds. i know my old 2006 WR450F had clocked up about 7000km of dirt and adventure riding with no engine work needed at all.

anyone got rough mileage estimates before you've had to do cam chains, top end or bottom end work?
On my 09 I had just under 8k miles when I rebuilt it. There was nothing that made me feel the engine was due but when I tore into it the rings and piston were just at the service limit and two of the valves were leaking (poring gas in the head). I replaced the piston, rings, all 5 valves and also did a new rod, but it was more for preventative reasons.

The bike easily could have done another 1k miles. It gets ridden very hard and 99.9% of the miles were in the dirt, including single track desert, high mtn riding, several races and everything in between. The engine was lugged, and bounced off the rev limiter everytime it was ridden.

I would guess if you ride reasonably they would get 12-15k before a rebuild. Over all a great bike.

COXR650L screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 11:41 AM
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote