View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Yes and no.

On the Vstrom I've done the oil, coolant, air filter, chain adjust, removed and replaced both wheels, installed steel brake lines, removed and installed new forks, and various other things I'm probably forgetting.

I would not feel comfortable doing my own valve check and adjustment. Since I'm a bit beyond the basics but not much.
Brother, if you can do that stuff you can do a valve adjustment on an oilhead. It's dead simple.

Here's the deal on your original question. BMWs quality assurance program is crap. You either get a good one or a bad one. If you get a good one, it will run for hundreds of thousands of miles with very little maintenance. Literally. If you get a bad one it will cost you multi-thousands of dollars in repairs every 30K miles. Literally.

With that in mind, I'd trust a high-mile bike more than I would trust a low-mile bike. A bike with 75k miles can be had pretty cheap, and will probably run another 100K. A bike with 10K miles will be more expensive and can have several multi-thousand dollar time bombs ticking.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote