View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Take the 690 and get a set of supermoto wheels for the track use. Not ideal for the track but better than the Husky anyway...
The KTM is better off roads as well but this seems not to be your main target...

Maybe a 990 SuperMoto would be best choice as you wont do a lot of off road riding....
The 690 is surprisingly quick on track, got an 09' ER converted to SMC (wheels/forks/shock/brakes) and are among the fastest in fast group on track days. Used to have a Superduke and had similar lap times though slightly more careful with SD. Have the EVO2 installed and larger rear sprocket. Did try with ER forks/shock/brakes and was OK but bit too soft and could use more brakes (even though it was very cold and raining). Probably less of an issue for road as not pushing that hard there.

Also had the 690 to the Alps (Austria/Switzeland/Italy) this summer and wouldn't want to be on any other bike down there. Motorways is not what it likes best though.

Now, my 690 started life as an ER an with me as novice on loose surface. Then I tried buddies 450EXC and 1 week later I had a 530EXC. It's just way easier and more fun to ride. That said, I've seen more skilled guys than me ride 690 much better than I do with my 530, in the right hands it's an incredible tool also off road.

Quite a few guys over here have converted their 530 to track tool and they are surprisingly quick. I'm faster on the straights but they're not that slow. Some of them have 570 kit though and got around 70hp!

If it was me, I would take the 690 if mainly tarmac/track. Better and less maintanance. If it was 65% dirt, I'd have the 530...but again a skilled dirt rider would be ok with 690. Also for very tight tracks, like a gocart track, the 530 would be better.

If I was to have only 1 bike for the rest of my life, it had to be a 690 enduro.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote