View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 12:41 AM   #526
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
After passing quite a bit of stalled traffic coming out of the city, I began to reflect that the double yellow line running down the middle of most roads does not mean "don't pass" but is actually a tiny passing lane for motos.
And that's how I saw it for over 2 years and 50,000 miles, because that's how the locals do it, and it worked well for me. Its an optional "do not pass" line for motos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post

The cops immediately jumped out into the road and motioned me to pull over. As soon as I had my helmet off, one of the cops came up and started asking for my papers and telling me that I had just been caught violating the speed limit.

Bummer. Never had a cop actually give me a ticket in Colombia in many thousands of miles and many months of riding there, and I was riding just like Al and Frederico, and you know what that means. The cops there must be turning into gringo cops, wtf? IT makes me sad.

I figured I would just ride like the locals and all would be good, and it was. Maybe Silviu (SSinVzla) could give us a little insight on this? Hola Silviu, donde estas mi hermano?

FWIW, and you should take this with a grain of sand........On my way back north, I got a ticket in Panama for doing 196 Kph in an 80 Kph zone. He wrote me a ticket, legit, totally. I was so shocked that I almost fainted. I asked him where I should pay. He said if you are leaving Panama within a few days, dont worry about it. Well, needless to say, I didn't pay. I just crossed into Costa Rica, sin problema. Nice cop, all business, very professional. I have no complaints, because I was breaking the law and I was prepared to pay the price, like I always am.

In Brasil, un-beknownst to me, there were speed cameras everywhere. I didnt see them, so when I saw the sign for "speed camera" in Portuguese, I had no clue, so I kept riding like my normal hooligan self, but I was wondering why the local riders and drivers were going so slow in sections and honking and waving at me because I was passing them at probably 3 times the posted limit, like they were going in reverse. Thousands of miles later when I finally figured it out, I had probably, I dont know, 30,000 or 40,000 DOLLARS, maybe quite a bit more, of speeding tickets attached to my bike. The Brazilian guys I told this story to just laughed their asses off and told me to let them know how it all worked out when I crossed into French Guiana at Oiapoque. My good friend Fernando in Ilhabela was a little more jaded, and bet me a dollar that no one would be the wiser. He was right. I owe him a dollar, and I have to go back to Ilhablela to pay it, which I am really looking forward to doing.

When I crossed the border at Oiapoque, Brasil, into French Guiana, no one said shit at the Brazilian Aduana when I checked out.

So I guess I got that going for me, which is nice.

IMHO, you should just not worry about it, but I could be wrong, since I am wrong more often than I am right.

¡Buen viaje, cabron! Youre doing a kick ass ride report! Carry on!

crashmaster screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 01:40 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote