View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #31
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Domromer, You want to buy a used GS and ask about repair costs. It seems like you have three options: new, late model used or an 1150.
I personally love the 1100 but the gear box can be an issue. Still I wouldn't pass up a really nice one if the price was right.

Consider the extra cost of tax, registration and insurance on newer models.

IMO 12k is way,way too much to spend on a used GS with no service contract. Plenty of 1200 owners on these pages give the view that buying a new GS today is as much about buying the service agreement and support as buying the mc.

[I have bought -seven- new GS and sold them all (about 40k mi)]

Think about that.

Subsidized financing via 2 da moon stimulus is compelling value on buying new with warranty.

Jim Moore points out that its a game of chance. I'm in agreement that if an 1150 has gone 70k with no major issues and has many new parts then you may very well have another 70k to go with little or no major repairs on this model.

With a 40k miler all those things may be coming your way. All its gonna take is a FD, drive shaft, clutch and not much more to be at the cost of new on the used 1200. If you have to sell you could take a real beating on a four year old 1200.

Everything requires repair sooner or later. Don't buy in to the bs that the BMW never needs parts. If you need a crown bearing on an 11xx you'll be out $100 and can repair roadside. On a 1200 its $2,000 + lost time since the 1200 FD overhaul is much more difficult. Supplies of used 11xx FD assemblies are good- more savings.

If you buy new and ride your dream for two years how much does that cost after resale? At least one poster went that route 7 times.

If you buy 3-4 year old 1200 and bear the cost of several major repairs?

If you buy a clean 1150 for $5k and invest $2k in parts over 2 years then sell for $4,500 (plus savings on insurance, tax, license)? The challenge here is doing a very thorough inspection. I've come no where near the $2k but needed neither clutch nor re-seal.

Everyone's going to have a different opinion. For any potential model visit the dealer micro fiche pages for typical parts cost. The 2000-2002 1150 is less complex. No stick coils for example. If engine and power train checks out and the owner has already replaced brake rotors, clutch, starter, hydraulics and cosmetics are good then this is the obvious deal imo.

1200's are more nimble and have other advantages but you won't miss any joy on 11xx. Ride several of each before you decide.