View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #35
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Bikes are for fun.

If costs is the BIG consideration..not the fun...one makes sort of weird bike decisions

the cheapest bike is used.....the ones that are most unpopular, most undesirable are the cheapest...the best buy if $$ are the main decision point

BMWs are not cheap...either new or used because they are highly desirable. ...ie Fun

to me debating the cost of a valve adjustment on GS or a super Teniere is like trying to dance on the head of a pin
You are right bikes are about fun. But I am cheap and and I ride a lot. Over the past two years I've done 40k on my Vstrom and I don't commute. If I had to spend a lot of money on parts or repairs any bike would become very unfun for me very fast. The Vstrom has required nothing but consumables over that 40k. So I do take into account the likely hood of major failure and big costs. I'm just that kind of person. I do my research and go for bikes that will get the job I need done with the least fuss.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote