View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubadubbdubb View Post
Hey guys and girls,

I've creeped on here for way too long just wishing I could get myself a dual sport bike and go adventuring! Thankfully, it looks like that time may be very near in my future but I need a little help from the experience of you all on here to help me decide between two.

I'm about 5' 5" and weigh in at 140lbs. Around where I live now, 85% of daily places to go require using the interstates to get there. While ideally I would be using this bike around 50/50 road/dirt I estimate it will be more like an 85/25 or more commuter.

The first model choice according to the dealer is a 2013 DRZ650S but on Suzuki's site is seems this is a DR650SE, the second choice is a 2011 DRZ400S.

I have been leaning more towards the 400 because it will be lighter and easier to maneuver on the trail AND I expected the seat height would be as least slightly less than the 650. According to Suzuki specs the seat height of the 400 is 36.8 inches where as the 650 is only 34.8 inches. The dealer said they could lower the 650 if I wanted, I'm thinking they could do the same on the 400.

I believe my main concern is that I don't want to feel like I'm lacking power on the interstate or killing the bike if I was on the interstate for a few hours. (Note: I have seen areas around here where the speed limit is 75mph)

Obviously I am not a huge guy so the weight of the 400 appealed to me in that sense, on the road I don't think its such a big deal but depending on the trails, I wonder if the 650 would be a bit gommy.

Okay, I know I'm being long winded but the last note is that I am not looking to do any modifications at this time so please bear in mind the decision is pretty much between the completely stock versions of these two bikes.

Thank you in advance for your help and wisdom =D

650. It is a lot better on the blacktop where you will spend most of your time. It has a lower seat height, the 400 is a pretty tall bike. As a commuter the 650 is superior, and will be WAY better at speed on the highway.

The 400 is better offroad, but you probably wont be running real knobbys anyway and therefore not capable of pushing hard offroad.
I

Get the 650, put it on some blacktop friendly dual sport tires, enjoy a decent commuter and live with the somewhat limited offroad capability. Offroading is great fun, slow or fast.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote