View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #746
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
No, as I understand it, they are developing a new/revised bike testing the EFI now. Coma is said to continue and then may move into a management or team owner role. KTM has been wildly successful in rally and they are keen to continue that but it remains to be seen how long they can hold off HRC or Husky. KTM is reacting a little late to developing new talent to replace Despres and Coma for the long term. They started with Aubert, Balooshi, and Zanol last year but I guess weren't happy with their progress. From what I gather, Aubert wanted to do Dakar again, but KTM suggested he pay the $100K customer price for a competitive ride. That says the world about how much they see him as a future rally rider.

We'll see how Caselli gets on with it. He may be great, I am not sure about his worldwide appeal for the future of KTM though. Rally is just not big enough in the US that I can see a US winner becoming a global star like Coma or Despres.

Latest interview I read from Johnny Aubert is that Ktm wanted him to focus on his enduro season. I guess according to him his Dakar affected his training this year. "The rallye is my future everybody knows that but right now we decided to focus 100% to go and get another title". I guess If you put yourself in KTM shoes they may feel like that they do not need to spread out their E2 title contender as they have already 2 of the best guys out there to secure a Dakar win. Granted with Coma out they are left with one... We will see what happen, this is going to be a fun dakar!

501 FE Husaberg
1190 KTM adventure R