View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #96
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
Please recommend some good maps and books about DV. I did a countdown DS ride from Ridgecrest to Beatty and back a a few years ago. I also road a street bike from Scottys castle all the way south through the park, So I am vaguely familiar with the area but I need details. I want to spend a week or so there on a DS. Thanks.

Besides the one's already mentioned I find the National Geo Trails Illustrated or Benchmark California Road and Recreation Atlasmap and the good old DeLorme California Atlas to be quite useful. If you put all the maps you can buy together and study them, none of them seem to have everything listed like all of them combined. Pick your poison, make notes on one to carry is how I roll.
I gave away my Nat Geo map on this last trip to a couple fellow riders from Montana I met who were trying to explore the area for the first time with a park map so it's time for a new one for me to carry also.

There's also some GPX tracks on my website, though since roads have changed I can't promise you can get through on the same roads this year. Many of the tracks were made riding on a loaded F800GS before going more lightweight, sorry I don't have the tracks more organized.

-Finn

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote