View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #31
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,430
Roadracer, you bring up some really good points and you might be on to something about reducing some of the classes as there are a ton. The M1K is definitely a little more lax than lots of other desert races. However, this is by design, and it is why it is such a fun race. There are plenty of cut-throat desert races out there where guys on new bikes and in million dollar cars cans really test their mettle against other guys on proper modern race vehicles in real dusty, gritty, nerfing, dangerous passing and quit-before-the-trophy-truck runs you over action! However, in thoses races, vintage vehicles and moto's really don't have a place and that is one of the reasons the M1K exists.

Vegas To Reno comes to mind. Baja 1K too. Or probably any race in the BITD or SCORE/HDRA series.
Or if multi-day is your thing, the Dakar.

The reality is, I doubt Robby would have passed you that friendly if he wasn't just running the M1K as a shakedown for the Hummer for his last Dakar. Of course he won the overall, and created a new NORRA record in the process. But it begs the question; Was the challenge of being up against the James Garner 442 and the two SL350's the same as it is trading jabs with Stéphane Peterhansel and Cyril Depres in South America? Um, No. But, was it fun?? Oh yell Yes!!

I find myself thinking a lot about this. Mostly because I think a lot of folks, including myself, feel like they found a home with the M1K and see it as a place to still test themselves, and machines they can build/prep themselves, in a sanctioned Baja race without the the issues associated of entering a race where pro racers need to win because it is their livelihood, not just a hobby.

And it worries me that the very thing that drew people to this race, is the same thing they want to alter and change to suit their needs after they got to enjoy it. Reminds me of people that want to move into these small coastal Oregon towns because they love the small, quaint houses, local coffee shop and easy-going lifestyle. But once they move there, they raze the old cabin and put up a McMansion and applaud when the old coffee shop is bought out and replaced by a Starbucks.

If someone wants real competition in a desert race, they probably shouldn't be looking for it in a race where a lot of other people are riding 20, 30 or 40-year-old bikes and driving even older cars. The M1K is changing at lighting speed in its effort to get more entrants. It's totally cool that I was able to be on the same course and in the same bivouac with real stars like Robby and Malcolm, but I'm really glad that I was not a hinderance to their race and they were not dangerous to mine. Of course, I am not a real hard-core desert racer who craves fierce competition and has a Checkers or Stretcher mentality. Because if I was, this race probably wouldn't be the one I would race.

I love that NORRA not only welcomed me, but actually encouraged me to enter a rally car into the M1K, and I am sure that in 2014, there will be more similar vehicles entering. I would never even dream of entering this vehicle in say the Baja 1K. But in the M1K, it is a natural fit. To quote a NORRA official when I told them I would be entering a rally car this year, "The NORRA race is all about having fun and you are certainly making it just
that."

Not trying to stir any drama up, I just really love this race and am thankful for all of the people I have met while participating in it.

And I look forward to my Certificate of Participation and hug from Anders at the finish!! Which, by the way, is a lot less painful than a friendly rear-end nerf from Kent Kroeker

PS Don't sweat the Lowrance to Garmin conversion, we will be doing it too as we are running Garmin Montana's as we did the last two years.

oregoncoast screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 05:05 PM
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote