View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #82
AK Smitty OP
AK Smitty

Oddometer: 316
San Juan del Sur

I did forget to mention we ran into some crooked cops on the PanAm from Apoyo to San Juan. There was a long conversation and after some discussion I said we either go to the bank now to pay the fine or to the police station. I was very direct once they asked for money. They said 20 each. I knew they meant US dollars but I agree and asked for our licenses back(mine just an AK state ID and Mihal an international drivers license). Once they were back in our hands I looked at Mihal and he knew we were leaving no matter what happen. I held up the 40 cords(equal to a dollar or two) high in the air for all the people driving by to see. The cops did not like that and told us to get out of there. Score one for the gringos! No gringo tax on that one!!

What a great place San Juan del Sur is! I love the size of the town and all the beaches near by. We spent most of our time at Maderas and I really dig this area. A little more gringo than normal and busy due to the holidays but still a great place. I will be back here sooner than later.

Maderas beach

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Beach in San Juan del Sur

San Juan sunset

We met this married couple on a Triumph. They were riding to Colombia on their honeymoon. They were awesome. Both so positive and full of life!! I feel like a jerk b/c I am blanking on their names right now. He made the boxes himself and they were all character with the bike and gear. This trip can be done anyway and I loved the style with which they are doing it. What a great start to life together. I think our paths will cross again in Panama or Colombia.

At one point we figured out that their were about a dozen ridders all in San Juan on Christmas. We should have had a biker Xmas dinner. It was great talking bikes travel and life with all of them. Everybody has a little different outlook and style to it all. I know I will cross paths with some of the again in the coming months.

More Maderas

Surfed for a few days and the ways were really just slightly above my skill level. I got a lot of practice at being in the washing machine. Still had fun and got in some condtioning for my next attempt.

after 5-6 nights in San Juan the Canadians and I head to Ometepe. Pawel got his license back the day after Mihal and i left. He had a difficult time with the one day of being separated. He did say it was a great exercise in practicing his Spanish and patience.

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote