View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
Plane Dr OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 828
Thanks everyone! Nice to have actual testing of other bikes.

So I spent the day mucking about. The Odyssey after a deep discharge (possibly too deep) it now tests 265 cca vs 230 cca a couple days ago. It also holds a solid 12.8 volts. The process was to draw down to 10.5-11 volts then recharge at 10+ amps, then trickle charge at 1.5-2 amps for 6-8 hours. I had wired my LED spot to it and it sucked way low. So it got a 2 stage (3.5-4 hour total) 10 amp charge then the trickle.

The starter post was 8 years old. So cleaned and retorqued. It was okay for corrosion and wasn't loose but wasn't clean and tight.

The centech AP2 was "leaking" on the switched side of the circuit. It was always 6 ish volts. i only noticed as the Piaa switch LED was still on after the circuit was supposed to be off. I Disassembled and cleaned it, essentially just brushing it down with a dry toothbrush and paintbrush.

End result 6-7 milliamperes for the main system, 13-14 for the centech circuit. 6 milliamperes of which go to the new voltmeter and clock. 6-7 into the ether, relays, hard wired transformers etc.

Ill see what happens. It spins up faster than it has anytime since I bought it. Ill see if the battery holds. But I am around 1/3 the previous draw. So this should get me 7-10 days and still start. It sits that long only if I am traveling for work so it should be good. I may see what the dealer costs to verify the software rev level. Mine is a 2004 build and is a 2004 based on all the details, 2005 though on the data plate.

Hopefully some good data here for someone else in the future.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote