View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #226
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
If my dealer allowed test rides I definitely would of done it already. I start drooling everytime I look at the new 500's. Like the longer maintenance of a 690 tho. Would love to be able to test ride a 500 and a 690 2012 or newer.
OK, if the dealer won't allow you to test ride, something is up.

First, if they don't have a '12 690 R in stock, and the do have a 500 in stock, I can understand why they are pushing the 500. Typically, dealers don't really care about YOUR needs. They care about sales. And this is fair, as they are a business. It's also OK to tell a saleman "No" when they suggest one bike over another.

My gut always tells me, though, if they are just trying to sell what's on the floor and talkin' smack about another of their own products they can't happen to get, well, might be time to seek another dealer. That or roll with it as they are a business after all, and their needs are sales NOW, not next Spring...

I bought a 2012 690 Enduro R in June (happy birthday me... :) ). I test rode it no problemo, expect for the fact I damn near whipped out the cheque book the minute I returned from my test ride. FUNNEST bike I've ever ridden.

I wanted a dual sport, so I test rode...
  • F800GS
  • R1200GS
  • Ducati Multistrada (this was #2 on the list, but damn, it's pricey!)
  • Suzuki DR650
  • Husqvarna TE630
The KTM was the hands down winner for me. Most of the other bikes were great, don't get me wrong, but the KTM stood out. :)

Issues so far - at 800 miles, 300+ of which are off road - include:

1 - throttle response took a bit of getting used to - but now I'm fine with it
2 - rear tail light keeps winking out - bulb in the socket has connectivity issues - no solution yet (not sure I want to swap the rear end for a Euro unit yet)
3 - false neutral between 5th & 6th gear - same as others; noticed when light shifting or not really paying attention. Reminds me this bike REQUIRES you pay attention. Nothing problematic, though, just another shift in my riding style needed.
4 - I found the stock seat to be comfortable between fillups of the gas tank - still, I opted to replace it with Renzaco Racing custom seat - highly worthwhile!!!

Now, I haven't replaced the tank bolts, but may do it at some point.

I've bolted on a bunch of stuff:

1 - Wolfman luggage racks
2 - Touratech rear rack
3 - touratech skid plate
4 - barkbusters
5 - windscreen
6 - wolfman tank bag
7 - rotopax 1 gallon gas can and a rotopax storage can on the opposite side
8 - better mirrors (foldable and extendable)
9 - giant loop mojave bag for extra tools, spare tubes, etc.
10 - mounting up a couple of LED driving lights this coming week
11 - engine crash bars
12 - bar risers
13 - Renzaco Racing gas cap/filler neck (worthy change)

Also bought a metric crap tonne of new tools ( see what I did there? ), tool rolls, blue loctite, a tube patch kit, a hand pump, and pretty much the entire Motion Pro cataloque... ;)

Tools aside, the actual bolts on to the bike have been great so far.

The bike has been fantastic - rips like a chainsaw on nitrous, is comfy on the road and just gives me the giggles on every ride! I will admit the bike wanders a bit on the highway, but that's a tire issue (Pirelli MT21s). That said, the tires rock in the dirt.

Might fiddle with sprockets, but so far the bike works well for me. This might change in the Spring when I can access more technical terrain again.
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote