I know Mr. Marketing will say Yes...
But I am approaching a bit of a problem here.
My bike and I are leaving in ten days. After that the address I gave you to ship to will no longer be valid. I have no idea of when I will be back there again.
Normally I would be quite patient and happy to wait, but I'm sure you can understand my pestering in this circumstance.
Do you see any chance of me receiving delivery in the next ten days?
If not then we will need to work through the private message system to arrange a different method of delivery and I would like to get that process started sooner rather than later.
Looking forward to the goodness of your product.
KS in ID