View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #94
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
I maintain it is the job of the machine to be an excellent tool for the rider, and it is up to the rider to add the 'character' and excitement to the mix. Upon a closer examination, a 'boring' bike usually turns out to be one the rider couldn't fault - how in God's name has this become a bad thing?!?
Nope, it is quite easy to create a fake and boring motorcycle...the Japanese have become masters of this. CV carbs with small diaphragm vents to reduce throttle response or fuel injection designed to only respond so quickly. They seem to see these traits as desirable so oafs aren't startled by a 'sudden'--yet commanded--response of power. Limp suspension with imprecise damping. Excessive steering trail to ensure that wobbles and instability don't frighten the inexperienced, serve only to dull the steering feedback in the twisties. Crappy Transformer-like instrument clusters with glitzy displays that will soon fade, crack and craze. Miles of phony engine and frame covers to conceal poorly designed or poorly integrated components (Suzuki Vulcans and Yamaha Viragos are among the worst in this category). Brakes designed to intentionally not startle inexperienced users and therefore have broad engagement zones and poor final amount of available friction.

It is quite common for manufacturers to pasteurize, homogenize, filter and blend something to the point that it becomes as interesting as a block of Velveeta. If you haven't ridden a bike that doesn't suffer from those traits, you owe it to yourself to seek one out.

I tend to like my motorcycles with instant feedback, honest hardware and real suspension and brakes. There is no fake anything here. Every part has a purpose or it didn't make it to the final design. It's honest, spartan and raw. It's also the most 'alive' motorcycle I own.

It's pretty bad when a Harley engine can be described as 'responsive and snappy' compared to so many of the failures listed in this thread. The reality of 65+ ft/lbs of torque available over a 30 MPH spread in every gear makes it a willing backroad accomplice. Every tweak of the throttle is met with an immediate lunge forward. It steers right now and will stand on its nose if you ask it to.

Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote