View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #9
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
My 1150 GS now has 89,000 local miles on it. Commuting and day rides for 10 years. No road trips of any merit, due to work and family stuff. I ride the bike hard. In all kinds of weather.

Question: the bike has never run better. Starts easily, idles nicely, accelerates like a scalded cat. But I haven't had the throttle bodies "synched" recently, or adjusted the valves. Oil changes and fluids changed regularly. Keep good rubber on the big yellow pig. Rub off the dirt when required.

So, if it ain't broke, does that mean the throttle bodies are synched and the valves are fine?

My feeling is that after all the regular maintainence valve adjustments over the years, the valves are now "stretched" about as far as the metal will go, and don't need as frequent adjustment. Foolish self delusion?
I'd say you can double the valve adjustment interval if your personally familiar with how much they have needed adjustment in the past. I'm assuming your letting the shop do the deed so unfortunately, the adjustment is only as good as the last guy set them. I wouldn't let a shop work on my bike for free, but that's just me.
bemiiten is online now   Reply With Quote