View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #1255
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
First off, I have loved your thread so far as it reminds me why years ago I went got my certs. It is so fun watching people discover their talents and developing their skills as they move along. Big props to you! I look forward to seeing this gantry completed,

Now, if I missed this somewhere in your thread please ignore, but when working with galvanized material you need to be especially careful as the by product of the zinc oxide coating coming off in fumes is the same chemical compound that was used in WWI nerve gas. It will destroy your lungs and in large enough quantity can lead to serious consequences. You need to keep your head out of direct fumes and good ventilation at all times.
Thanks, Dr E! It's been a fun journey, and I have a LOT if ideas to tackle still. Life is good!

Yes, I know about the heavy metals being liberated during welding the nasty galvanised coating, but thank you for reminding me, and for bringing it up for those who don't know.

I generally have the exhaust fans running full blast and have the door open. I also pretend to be a deep sea diver running out of oxygen. I take a deep breath, weld a stringer w/o breathing, then book out of the garage for 5-10 minutes until the smoke clears.
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote