View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #973
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenduddhist View Post
Thanks for the report. Please keep us informed after you have ridden both bikes. The trophy is the only bike I would consider as a replacement for my R1200RT. I am most concerned about the Trophy's suspension and heat management from the engine. I don't think Triumph will be able to beat out the suspension. And if it gives off any heat from the engine, it's a deal killer, immediately...

Looking forward to hearing your ride report.
I'm really looking forward to riding both bikes back-to-back. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I share your concerns about the suspension. This is their first electronic adjustable unit (supposedly made by WP), so I would be a little nervous about its reliability, and going on BMWs experience, replacing the ESA shocks isn't cheap. Also, the conventional fork up front probably won't be as good as the RTs.

As for engine heat, I haven't heard any press reports of a problem, and the Explorer (which has basically the same engine) was fine. My concern with heat would be that the bike is too warm for the Texas summers - the RT is already pretty warm, and the Trophy looks to have wider fairings than the RT.