View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #159
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Finally got the bike together. Fired right up, charging at esentially 800rpm. So, initial output readings of the system seem quite high. At 4000rpm, voltage to the battery is 16.25 volts. With heated grips on high, and high beam on, battery is getting 15.85 volts. This is way too much. It seems to me at this point, that the regulator/rectifier is not doing it's job. It is grounded direct line to the battery. I must admit that I'm not surprised, I've had 3 Denso unit failures on other bikes of mine, and Ducati 'regs', where this unit was sourced, has a notorious reputation for burning up batteries because of too much voltage.

Any thoughts? Improper wire connections surely would result in 0 voltage output, or a complete short, I think.

Steve
It's essential to have the black wire to the rec unit, which feeds from a switched positive, to have a good connection. If it had the supplied plug, clip it off and replace it with something else or, better, solder it directly to a switched positive. It took me weeks to figure out he supplied plugs were bad and I was fighting high readings like you are.