View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Yes, the sandy stuff was a hoot. I don't know how people got through there on the big bikes and I hate to think what was like two up. Since I helped a little while the course was being set up, I had the pleasure of riding most of it three times. I was OK at speed, but as soon as I had to slow down, it was all over. I nearly ran into the back of Oscar's 950, while he was stopped..

Muriwai Beach is iron sand, when I cleaned the bean can recently, it had attracted a lot of the magnetic metal fuzz. One of the reasons that I think I'll stay off the beach from now on. Woodhill might be OK, but I hate that salt getting in everywhere.

Vege loves his suspension. I can't believe how fast he is on gravel, I don't usually like getting passed, but when Chris Birch went past on Inland road on his 990, it was great to watch. The laws of physics do not seem to apply to him. I seem to be attracted by gravity a lot more, it's not happy until I am horizontal.

I've just drained a couple of hundred ml of oil from the rear boot of the final drive on the R80GS it must have accumulated there for a while. I was expecting the usual table spoon full, not a puddle on the ground. Since the gearbox is still full, I am not too worried. I hear wet shaft drives last longer :-).
Mine used to leak, even after I had had the final drive rebuilt, and as I am anal about oil leaks it drove me nuts. We figured it was migrating down between the shaft and the sleeve as it shouldnt be able to get past the seal, so Mike D put some crc wicking compound into it. Havent looked in there for a long time to see if there is any oil there.
In the deep sand the front end wanted to spear off sideways. I tried riding it fast, dirtbike style but that nearly ended in tears so we just had to slog it out slowly. The soft front forks dont help as when the front would grab and want to go sideways it would just compress the forks and tuck the front under.
I have never seen Chris ride on gravel before but if its anything like on a dirt bike it would be spectacular.
If he has another school we should come up and see if he can teach us to ride sand 2up better. Not sure if he has done any 2 up adv riding.?
We tried both standing a couple of times (on the Beemer ), weird. I would need to shift the controls around a bit as its set up for sit down riding. And Dawn needs something around my waist to hang on to.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote