View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Guys, simple stupid question here. If I remove my front shock/spring assembly, what happens to the front wheel? Is there a stop to keep it from dropping to the floor (doesn't have far to go of course) or what?

Reason I'm asking (this will help you answer me) is I will get my Ohlins front shock rebuilt this winter, but the bike will sit in my Korean parking garage. Everything needs to look "usable" not like a garage. My idea is that I'll remove the assembly and just leave the bike sitting on the center stand while I have the shock rebuilt (probably 3-4 weeks turnaround).

I suppose once concern is the random "someone sitting on my bike" thing and surprise, the front wheel gives no support! I doubt this is an issue though, Koreans seem to leave other people's stuff alone very well.

Any precautions I need to take?
On the centerstand with no front shock it will look normal but with both tires on the ground. If someone takes it off the centerstand with no shock the bike will contact the ground, probably damage some bushings/seals in the forks and be waaaaaay difficult to get back on the centerstand without a strong helper. After shock removal, reinstall the front tire and strap the front wheel to the centerstand tightly. Then it can't be taken off the centerstand and will look completely normal but if you can, put a spacer between the front wheel and lower fork brace, then nobody can screw it up unless they mean it.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote