View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #8
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
First Day in Mexico - A travelling day

Dean Sez:

This morning we left the Motel 9 in Pharr Texas around 7am and had a breakfast at Jack in the Box, fueled the motos up, and made our way south across the border to Mexico.
Customs went smoothly and by 8:15am or so we were flowing with the morning traffic.

[Here Dean very kindly didnít mention that I missed the turn in Reynosa and we did a little tour of some neighborhoods. The traffic was intense, but we made it. NOW we know we should have just gone straight across the bridge over Hwy. 2. - cwc]

After clearing the border town of Reynosa and it's large manufacturing sites we entered about a hundred miles of rich agricultural land. The fields for the most part had been harvested for the year, and it was clear to see that GPS assisted steering was being used on the perfectly straight rows. The fields are very large in some cases several miles square. The next hundred miles of travel south beyond hwy 97 on hwy 101 were a continuation of agriculture and related businesses.

[The other group was tracking my SPOT and waited for us at a Pemex near Las Norias and we had lunch in Nuevo Padilla. Someone will have lunch pictures Iím sure.- cwc]

At about 220 miles we entered some wonderful flowing terrain with some elevation changes and large sweeping turns following the hills and valleys of the area. The trees are a mixture of hardwoods and palms with a few desert trees like Joshua trees here and there. The afternoon terrain was more pleasing to the eye and the ride.

We arrived in Cd. Mante late afternoon and decided to stay at a pleasant hotel, the JJ Inn. The rooms go for about $45 for two beds for two people, with an included breakfast.

[Actually I was planning to stay in a place Sjoerd Bakker recommended that was much cheaper. We could see it from our Hotel, but once we all stopped there was little interest in moving.- cwc]

As the near by Resturant was not serving food tonight we purchased what amounted to soft tacos from a popular street vendor and ate our supper outside under the shade of a huge old tree. The connected drive through beer store provided us with refreshment. It has been fun getting to know all the members of the group. On the road we have been traveling in two groups one of six bikes the other four bikes. Tomorrow we can take either a direct route of 120 miles to Xilitla or a scenic route of 220 miles, it looks like most everyone will be taking the scenic route.

Right about 300 miles for the day.

Day 1 Track

Day One Elevation

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here

cwc screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 06:31 PM
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote