View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #138
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
I finally got my skid plate installed on the 640.

To make the plate easier to mount, I installed a stud for the front mount. Now I just slip the plate over the stud and install the bottom bolts. This way you are not juggling that 11 pound chunk of aluminum and trying to find a 6mm hole. Much easier my way!

I also drilled the 4 bottom bolts to safety wire them. Better not to lose this big chunk like one of the other inmates did!!
The stud at the front now accepts a nylock nut.

For the tool box lids, I installed 3 bolts from the bottom up. The fourth one, front/right, is a little more difficult due to the taper of the skid plate. You can not install a bolt from the bottom up.
For this one I ran a bolt through the threads on the plate from the outside, installed a nylock on the inside, then cut the bolt head off.
Now I can use wing nuts or nylocks depending on how easy access I want to the tool boxes.

I'm still figuring out what to put in the tool boxes. I think I will try and get my tire change gear into them. I can get a compressor and one tube into the left side and my tools into the right side. I had originally put my CO2 cartridges into the right side, but don't know if that is such a good idea being so close to the exhaust???

I'm also not too sure I will want the compressor in the tool box as I might be in a wet environment??? How well sealed are the tool compartments??

The plate looks good so far...............

Cheers