View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Retired-N-Roamin OP
Retired and Roamin

Oddometer: 52
No Problems - Good News! Serously? Well, Mostly! W/Pics!

As Gomer used to say - Surprise-Surprise-Surprise! And I guess all's well that ends well.

Sooo... Some months ago I started researching my next bike. I started looking and lurking on the various forums for the different brands and models.

I (at first) thought that I really wanted an RT. As time went on I came to know that an RT wasn't quite right.

Then I came here - advrider - and started looking at all the GS articles. It seemed that the GS was more what I needed for the types of riding I hope to do in the future.

I'd spent the fall over in Spain. Yes, I missed all of the political TV commercials and all of the slobbering talking heads. It was so great that I'm going back in early spring. No, not missing the political crap, but the scenery and the woman!

So... as soon as I returned to the Sacramento area I started looking for a bike. A&S had a nice looking bike (this thread) and after some advice from the inmates I bought the bike. Heck, I'm even in contact with the previous owner.

Anyway, the bars weren't positioned for maximum comfort - so a quick trip to A&S and some risers/bar backs got them much better positioned.

At 80mph the air striking me in the chest wasn't pleasant. It might be OK in the summer when it's a pleasant 80. But in the 40-50 temps here in NCal that blast does not cut it!

So... More research on here about windshields and other things to redirect the windflow. At first I was going out to CalSci in West Sacramento. Then a middle of the night thought took me toward the full-meal-deal that the Aeroflow Half-Fairing offers.

There were some potholes in the 'mount the fairing brackets' road that I had to navigate. The mounting brackets bolt to the same bolts that hold the oil cooler. This particular bike had only one screw holding the oil cooler tight to the bike itself.

I could not move the oil cooler enough to even locate the missing mounting hole. And no, I did not try putting any hair there!

So I took the beak off and it turns out that (IMO) manufacturing tolerances bit. The left side oil cooler hose was just a couple mm short of being ideal. This meant that at one time or another one of the previous (3) owners could not get the screw to match the mounting hole and just gave up, using the right side bolt only.

Another hiccup - the Aeroflow instructions tell us that we need 50mm bolts to secure both the windshield brackets and the oil cooler. The instructions suggest - hint - allude to the fact that the required bolts are either 1) already on the bike holding the oil cooler or 2) included with the rest of the mounting hardware.

Sadly, neither were true. The OEM bolt as only about 25-30mm. And the required 50mm bolts were not part of the kit.

Did you know that Lowes has a great selection of stainless steel bolts and screws? Only issue is that they have none in metric sizes. So zinc plated will have to do.

And I suppose you already know that to remove the beak you have to take off the turn signal stalks? Well, no one told me that those dam-n covers are as fragile as thin shelled eggs. Yeah, I broke two of 'em. Happy to say that A&S must sell a bunch as they had 'em in stock.

So, waiting for the covers to be delivered I had some other business and didn't finish the windshield project until earlier today (12/31).

Everything is all back together and of course I HAD to take a test ride. Not a long ride, but on one short straight I hit a 110mph. No wind on the chest. No helmet buffeting. No real indication of the speed - no noise from the bike. Sure happy this was a rural-ish road so that the LEO's weren't nearby.

Suffice to say I love it! Plenty of breeze to keep the visor clear of fog, but also comfortable enough for long rides in low temperatures that we have now.

One thing... When researching my next bike I saw lots of pictures of BMW bikes with RADAR and Laser detectors mounted. On RT's I can see the need, but my thoughts ran along the idea of 'On a GS? Really?" These are supposed off-road bikes and they don't go all that fast - do they? Well, after my short test ride today I can attest that not only will they exceed the posted speed limit, but do so with some alacrity!

I'm baby sitting the 4 grands tonight so son & DiL can go out for the first time in 8 years! But tomorrow!

Tomorrow - 1/1/13 - I've got a nice ride plotted through the gold country east of Sacramento. Lots of twisty roads and a forecast of a sunny 50 by noon-ish. You gotta know where I'm gonna be!

Ride safe - and try to stay somewhere near the posted speed limit!

Retired-N-Roamin screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 11:18 PM
Retired-N-Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote