View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #140
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
I installed a about a 30mm X 6mm bolt with blue Locktite into the front skid plate bolt mounting hole on the frame.

I used the blue locktite as I wanted to be able to get the stud out easy if it broke.

Cut the head off the bolt and install the skid plate. Put a 6mm flat washer and a nylock on the remainder of the bolt, then trim any excess bolt off. File smooth.

If the stud is tightened enough, it should stay on the frame and the nylock will remove easily but still give a secure mount.

If I have a problem with the stud coming loose in the future, I will use Stud and Bearing mount to secure it next time. The reason I did not use it now is because if I break the stud off, it will be tough to get the remainder of the stud out.

I never considered a padlock. To get one that small would make it very insecure. I will probably just carry a 10mm wrench with me and install the skid plate caps with nylocks.

The only other thing I considered was a piece of safety wire between the "wings" of the wing nuts. Drill a small hole in each wing and then run safety wire between them so they will not vibrate loose.
What are you putting in your tool boxes??

Cheers