Well, here we are again, another year, another multi-week flurry of posts, disappointed employers, spouses, and woefully neglected children.
We are definitely settling into a rhythm with the appropriate threads for the appropriate topics already in full swing...
At 56 pages the pre-rally thread is gaining a life of its own. This will be the full bore, no holds barred, F5irehose of information.
For the n00bs, this will be the firehose at full blast. Last year's thread
went 976 pages, 14,634 posts, and nearly 1.1 million views...full speed ahead, buckle your seatbelts. Also, for a primer on following along, specifically on where to find and how to decipher some of the information on Dakar.com
, check this thread
@DakarOfficial mobile apps:
Check the rider list below for links to their personal or team pages, many of which are updated with individual news.
Another great source is Twitter
and Facebook althought Facebook may be tough if you haven't 'friended' many of the riders. A lot of the most timely information on a rider by rider basis hit's FB and Twitter pretty quickly.
For this viewing via mobile, I'll add shameless plugs for my feeds. I'll be doing my best to keep the @rallyraidreview
twitter feed rolling with play by play and then daily wrap ups at the minimum via my blog RallyRaidReview.
Where to listen:
Where to watch:
Who to watch:
- NBCSports. NBC did a decent job last year and I expect the same again. East Coast US coverage looks to be starting at 2:30am EST on January 6th.
- Also of course, Eurosport.com runs two updates daily, an interview update and then a stage/daily coverage show. Check either the media or torrent threads as those are the best sources for this information.
- Eurosport always puts on some great pre-race content to whet your appetite. Check out the Destination Dakar and Roadbook videos on the Eurosport site.
- SBS - Looks like coverage starts on the 6th with daily updates at 17:30 local time. (I am not sure of the time zones. )
- TN.ar - Excellent Spanish language live coverage. Usually continual coverage of the start festivities.
- TVE (this link when live) - Updates every night live at 21:00 GMT on Teledeporte. Streamed here after initial airing.
- Live link for Peruvian TV
- Check this thread for more - If you are on Mars with the rover, Myway probably has the right link for you.
ADVrider inmates and friends (This year I will only list true ADVriders since our list of riders we watch is getting too long. Best to just visit to entry list instead):
Number links to Dakar page, name links to personal or team page if one exists.
- Joan Barreda Bort
- (SPA) - Husqvarna TE449RR
- Javier Pizzolito
- (ARG) - Honda CRF450Rally
- Jonny Campbell
- (USA) - Honda CRF450Rally (Inmate JCR/Honda
- Thomas Berglund
- (SWE) - Husaberg FE 450 RR (Inmate Berglund
- Darryl Curtis
- (ZAF) - KTM 450 Rally Replica
- Juan Carlos "Chavo" Salvatierra
- (BOL) - Honda CRF450X (Inmate chavo_dakar_bolivia
- Simon Pavey
- (AUS) - Husqvarna TE449 (Inmate ThatCameraKid
- LLewelyn, Si's son)
- Manuel Lucchese
- (ITA) - TM 450 Rally (Inmate manuellucchese
- Ingo Waldschmidt
- (NAM) - KTM 450 Rally Replica
- David Reeve
- (ZMB) - KTM 450 Rally Replica
- Craig Bounds
- (GBR) - KTM 450 Rally Replica
- Donald Hatton
- (CAN) - Husqvarna TE449 (Inmate Destination Dakar
- Luis Belaustegui
- (ARG) - KTM XC 150 (Inmate luisbelaustegui
- Patrick Beaule
- (CAN) - KTM 450 Rally Replica
- Lyndon Poskitt
- (GBR) - KTM 450 Rally Replica (Inmate Pyndon
- Kevin Muggleton
- (USA) - Honda CRF450X
Who did I miss? There are bound to be a few...
The full list of entrants
can be found here
Again, a special mention to all who follow and support the riders. Those who go without sleep, clean clothes, or showers and endure the bumpy roads and non-roads helping to keep the riders riding for our enjoyment. Thanks to you!
I'll also give special mention to Carlton Kirby
and Ben Constanduros
for excellent coverage and great looks inside the operation. For those that don't know, Carlton is the voice of the Eurosport Dakar coverage and, in my opinion, has done a great job the past few years in acknowledging the fans and responding to our questions. Ben is the man in the trailer that puts the daily shows together for the ASO and gave a fascinating insight
last year via RallyRAIDio on how it's all done.
Last but not least is a big THANK YOU to Baldy without whom, this whole F5 phenomenon may never have spawned.
Global Time Reference
(Big Thanks to Flood)
Local time in Peru
Local time in Chile and Argentina
Local time in London, UK
Local time in Central Europe
Local time in the US: EST
Local time in the US: CST
Local time in the US: MST
Local time in the US: PST
Local time in Australia: WST
Local time in Australia: CST
Local time in Australia: CDT
Local time in Australia: EST
Local time in Australia: EDT