View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #239
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
maybe not. when a sport as young as motocross evolves those who came later benefit from the progress. most riders in the 70's wouldn't even think of jumping the way todays mini riders do. the sport has changed which has changed the skillsets that develop. I don't mean to minimize RC's achievements I just don't think anyone can bear the title of greatest of all time and if there is someone in my opinion it isn't him it's DeCoster but I'm assuming he would decline that honor. Charmichael never went and rode in europe he might be the greatest US motocross rider but US should be added to his acronym. GUSMXROAT? I'd like to know how he would have done with some of the GNCC guys of his time if he had lined up with those boys, or baja. To me the mark he made was too narrow to have such a sweeping title. GOAT? Dick Mann won at MX, dirt track, road racing and god knows what else. I could live with him being GOAT.
Here's a list of RC's accomplishments. right near the bottom, 4 times MX des Nations individual champion, 3 times team champion.

Would this not qualify him as beating the best in the world on multiple occasions over multiple years? I bet Stefan Everts would concede. He tried many times to beat RC heads up on both U.S. and European soil and never accomplished the goal. And I think in Europe Everts is the MXGP's GOAT.

1996 Rookie of the Year
15 Championships (record) 10 MX (record) 5 SX championships
150 career wins (record)
102 MX wins (record) 48 SX wins (2nd all time)
2 Perfect seasons MX (record)
Only rider to go undefeated in the 125 SX series
Never lost a MX championship 1997-2006. Never lost a title defense that he contested.
4x MX des Nations Individual Champion (3x Team Champions)
AMA Rider of the Year 5x (record)

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote