View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #77
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
12/28/2012 Kindred Spirits

The morning greeted me with sunshine and warmth. I packed up the bags and headed out without even the usual coffee jump-start. It was time to get to the beach and spend some quality time with salt water sand and sun.

Riding to the coast.

The ride down Rt. 200 to La Manzanilla was pleasant and surprisingly short. I must have made many more miles the night before than I realized. I arrived in the busy little town towards noon, running deep into my reserve tank as there wasn't a gas station for the last 50 Km or more and the next one was in Manzanillo, 20 Km further south.

Almost there.

When I found Jolanda's Restaurant I was greeted by a herd of bikes filling the parking lot. Inside was a motley collection of bikers relaxing to some coffee. Now these are my type of people! I didn't hesitate to join in. In the party were Jolanda and Leon (the owners, rode around the world on bikes), Randy (r6-lover), Ken and Carol (Australians traveling around the world on a BMW for five years now http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tstories/duval/) and Spencer and Mary who live in Manzanillo (Spencer has traveled the world by BMW). They mostly post to Horizon's Unlimited.

From left to right: Mary, Spencer, Ken, Carol and Randy.

The rest of the day was spent sitting around Jolanda's drinking beer and telling (mostly listening to) stories of world travel by bike over every continent. I spent close to seven hours (we switched to beer shortly after my arrival) just hanging out there without so much as touching the ocean not 100 meters away. Tomorrow.

Sunset.

As it was getting dark, Spencer and Mary went home and we rode over to Jolanda's cabanas in a big bike pack. The cabanas were a couple of kilometers inland down a dirt road. It's a pretty spot and we spent the evening hanging out and talking. It's so nice to be in good company! Then I went to sleep in my comfy, king sized bed.

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is online now   Reply With Quote