View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #95
mydlo
Yup.

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
I recently received my kit and just started the install last night. I have to say that getting the light shell apart was a bee-atch!!! I had the light in and out of a 265 deg oven about 6 times before it finally came apart. The adhesive KTM used is more like high temp silicone than any compound that softens with heat. I had to apply a lot more force than I expected and the heating helps stop the shell from cracking more than anything else. I will follow up with my progress.
Just wondering if you have had any issues with the 50W unit. TRS steered me clear of it as they thought it would be too much heat inside a small headlight housing ( I always thought a 60W halogen ran much hotter than a 50W HID anyway, but whatever) They also said the 35W is more reliable long term. I figured I didn't need a ton more light, just light in the right place , which is the whole point of the projector assembly.
Hey RoundOz,

Currently, I have a littler over 10K miles on my retrofit and haven't had any major problems with the 50W D2S kit. A few weeks after I got everything installed the shroud around the projector fell off after some trail riding; I took the light apart and pushed the shroud on further and it hasn't come off or wiggled since.(I guess I didn't push it on all the way originally.) Then a few weeks after that, the high beam solenoid started sticking on causing the High Beam to stay on. I took the projector out and cleaned up the solenoid and added some powdered graphite and no issues since! (This problem seems to be well documented when I researched the Morimoto projectors.)

I'm hoping to inspect my wiring soon and I'll probably open up the headlight housing to take a closer look at the projector and make sure everything is ok.

Overall, I'm still very happy with the swap and glad I installed the light!
2001 GasGas TXT280
mydlo is offline   Reply With Quote