View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
So, where are you coming from?
Coming from Washington, DC. Not the most amazing riding area, but DC is about 3 hours away from West Virginia where we have better riding than any place around Chiang Mai. I've done several variations of MHS loop, including going down to Mae Sot and Tak (which really should be incorporated into more CM loops...) MHS loop is interesting for travel's sake, looking at some villages and stuff. It is quite pleasant and it is a good ride. It's just that I don't think it's worth too much effort. From China it might be worth it depending on flights available, but it's definitely not worth it from the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Actually now that India was mentioned (and I fully agree, that the Himalayas will surely be the ultimate riding experience, but chances are itīs not as easy as northern Thailand, for example), some southern parts of India are quite nice on a bike, too... this is on Enfields near Munnar in Kerala:
So far, I've done a pretty good job covering Karshmir/Ladakh/HP/Rajasthan/UP... basically North India. But it's worth mentioning that areas around Assam/Bihar are probably just as wonderful. And as you mention, lots of people are enjoying their rides in South India as well...

India can be logistically difficult, but one can make an easy trip of it as well. Just fly to Leh, get a bike, and have several pretty easy and stress free loops available that are really, really worth it. I am tempted to say that it would be just as easy as any Chiang Mai loop.

I guess it really depends on the OP's time allowance and where he can fly easily and cheaply.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote