View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #138
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Thanks for bumping this, I re-read everything.

We did the most unimaginative thing this year - throwing more manpower at the problem.

Thankfully, Troy and Doyle stepped up and are willing to help out in the mod squad. The basic problem is still that this is all a volunteer operation, every one having jobs and families to take care of. The ADV team F5 experience will always be something completely different from a commercial, edited news organization. But thanks to Baldy, we also don't have to make our sponsors happy and we don't have to stop our broadcast to show Darts or Curling or Football (and yes, ad-supported forums do experience pressure to censor content that's not in line with the advertiser's "public image").

Moderating the Dakar mostly means sifting through the Firehose and the other threads like Pyn's and the media thread and trying to produce something useful in the Cliff Notes thread. In the last two years, the result was a bit of a hodgepodge of unrelated info. I hope that with more hands on deck, we can get a bit closer to the ideal of telling the day's story without the checkpoint-by-checkpoint numbers game that is a lot of fun during the stage but loses its relevance a few hours later for those who can't follow every minute.

There's usually no need to censor/moderate much in the Firehose, apart from a reminder or two when the bashing gets too wild. And I'm not comfortable with removing people's post just because it's the 3rd time someone posted "Despres is at WP6!!!". When it happens to me, I usually delete my own post and we could remind people that doing this themselves would be the polite thing to do.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote