View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #35
sprouty115 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'd suggest you just post here. You already have a following...
- Mark
Actually that's a good point, and I also could use the help the deeper it gets. I'll send him a link and have him join in.

OK, I've got the case split and here is what I've found so far...

Crankshaft - This thing is definitely whacked. The primary side actually has .010" TIR; the stator-side has .027"; the web/counter-balancer(s) show visible wobble (left/right). Heck there are even some jaw marks where someone clamped the crank in a vice! I've already sent an email to Lyn Garland at Vintage Specialties and he gave me pricing for a rebuild (around $600). But I think I'll email him back and see what his concern level is about the condition of the crank. I do have a local option for a used crank and stator for $120, which should be in better condition than what I have.

(vice marks in web - also note how the bearing wasn't positioned/rotated correctly by the person that did the last tear-down, the raised dot is supposed to mate with machined notches that are in the front where the cases meet)

(points cam with deep pits)

Pistons - they both show signs of scuffing but there is no damage to be concerned about. They also measure 2.116" (53.76mm). I believe this is the stock size, even though one of them has #5 next to the arrow on the piston crown. The cylinder bores also show some slight scuffing and measure 2.128" (50.05mm). I plan on doing the top end too and Lyn Garland recommended Bore Tech in Ohio, so I sent an email off to them for some info and pricing.

(piston top - cleaned up a bit with a wire brush)

(piston side)

Obviously I wasn't expecting this from a bike that is supposed to have only 6K miles on it, especially since the rest of the bike is so clean. Oh, well...next up cleaning the cases and more inspection.

sprouty115 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 07:25 AM
sprouty115 is offline   Reply With Quote