View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Mr. Moore,

Are you saying that the newly refurbished shaft failed after installation? If so, can you be more specific? Why, how did it fail? Was it the fault of the repairs?
Yeah, sure. As my 02 GS approached 100K miles I decided to do a little refurbing. Brake lines, fuel lines, pivot bearings, etc. I decided to pull the driveshaft and send it out aslo. The back end was pretty notchy when I pulled it. The front end felt fine.

I sent off to Machine Service Industry in Green Bay, WI. They sent if back a week or so later. The whole thing looked new. The u-joints rotated like butter. I was pretty pleased, thinking I had maybe dodged a bullet.

A few months later (5K miles or so) I felt a weird little vibration when I was riding, for just a few seconds. I didn't really think about it, but that night I happened to be in the garage, so I bent down and turned the rear wheel. I heard / felt the immistakeable "clunk-clunk, clunk-clunk" of a bad u-joint. I pulled the swingarm off and found the front u-joint nearly sheared all the way through. It was obviously about to give way. I replaced it with an old front half. About 10K miles after that I was accleerating from a stop light and I heard / felt a loud "CRACK," then a sound like a ball bearing rolling around in a coffee can, except a LOT louder. The bike was still under power, so I limped it home a few miles. I pulled the FD and the u-joint literally fell apart in my hands. It somehow held together enough for me to get home, but it collapsed into pieces as soon as the pressure was released. It looked like someone had thrown a grenade into the tunnel. There were pieces everywhere. The inside of the swingarm was trashed. It was a mess.

My guess is that the refurb company took too much metal away during the process. Maybe the installation of the grease fitting left the shell of the u-joint too weak to tolerate the stresses of use. I don't know.

People seem to have good luck with Bruno. I would definitely try him instead of the other guys if you plan to go that route.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote