View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco jim View Post
Yeah, I've decided to have it rebuilt. I'll send it off to Hendersen Precision shortly. Now I have to figure out what to do with the transmission. It works just fine, and the oil always looks pretty clean when I change it. But when I pulled the swing arm off I saw it had quite a bit of oil in it, and saw that the transmission output shaft seal was leaking. It also looks like it might be leaking from the neutral indicator switch, if that's possible. I don't have a lot of money, so if I can fix those leaks without dropping a grand or whatever a rebuild will cost maybe I will do that. But then I also hear a lot of alarmist talk about missing cir clips, etc... And there is quite a a few miles on it, so maybe a rebuild should be done. How hard is it to replace that output shaft seal?
Mine leaked some oil into the swinging arm a few years ago but it seemed to cure itself after a short time and has not leaked since. If you are short of funds try a new washer on the neutral switch and carry on with it, just keep an eye on the oil level and see how it goes, some oil in the swinging arm will do no harm.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote