View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #21
cwc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Leaving Cd. del Maiz for Someplace

No dog today, Dean was too busy.

Dean Sez:

A bright sunny morning after a decent nights sleep. Plenty of hot water in the shower. It was good that Charlie realized to remove the roll of toilet paper from the bathroom before showering as there is no shower curtain and the splashing water covers every bit of the bathroom.

A slower start this morning as it is not that far to Xilitla. At least one upset stomach in the group, but hopefully nothing serious. Roomed next to us was a sombrero salesman and his driver, the young driver spoke with Charlie a fair amount. He was concerned for our safety, and wished us a sincere safe trip. Hopefully today will be an uneventful travel and sightseeing day.

As much as we complained about Cd. Maiz, the ferreteria left a good impression. We needed some short 5mm screws for the airbox on Bettyís bike so I went shopping. At the ferreteria they found some longer ones and broke out a new bolt cutter to shorten them for me. They refused to charge me for them. Nice guys.

Linda found some info on Tepeyac where there is a giant mosaic mural. It was on the way so we went to look at it. Iíll let her provide the detail, but part of it looked like this.

We returned to Cd. Maiz for lunch (Tepeyac wasnít EXACTLY on the way) and then headed south after a short tour of Cd. Maiz neighborhood streets. It was pretty clear at this point that we wouldnít make Xilitla.

At Rayon there is a new bypass for Mex 70 so you donít have to go into town if you donít need gasolina. We did need it. After gassing up we headed for Cd. Valles. This is another fun road, but the sun was getting low and there was a lot of traffic. As we got spread out in the traffic I got a little stressed thinking about what might be happening behind me, but we all made it.

If you look in Google Earth you will see that the new bypass will eventually feed into a whole new route to Cd. Valles. It doesnít look nearly as fun as the existing road.

In Cd. Valles we stayed at the Sjoerd B. recommended Hotel Saja. Itís pretty much in the inner city and has lots of stores nearby in case you need something.

Tomorrow weíll see if we can make it to Xilitla.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here

cwc screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 06:30 PM
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote