View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #83
bemiiten OP
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
Hi bemiiten and thank you for your experiece! I write from Italy, sorry for my english!!
I'll have to do your own work and the biggest problem will be shimming the shafts.
The first question is:
yor plan for shimming has been successful over time ?
Thanks

Antonello

PS: my ADV : http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793394
I've put over 30,000 miles on the bike since the rebuild with no problems. As far as I can tell the end play dimension is .000-.002. and getting a accurate enough measurement seemed daunting. Because the bearing went close to 50,000 miles before a failure, I was willing to roll the dice on the factory setup as opposed to basing my shimming on possible inaccurate measurements.
If the failure repeated or happened at a low mileage, I would disassemble the transmission. Confirm the old bearings are fully pressed on the shafts and then reassemble using plastiguage and go from their. Once I was satisfied the end play was in spec, measure the assembled length of each shaft and then re check the measurement once the new bearings are in place.
Another way is to measure from the edge of the case to the bottom of each bearing bore and add the two halves together and then compare to the assembled shaft length.

bemiiten screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 05:29 PM
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote