View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #201
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Went for a ride on the R80G/S today, been wanting to give it a good run to blow out the cobwebs. Weather this morning was a blue skies and 27 degrees celsius, just perfect for riding, made better by no weekend traffic !

Headed up to Toodyay on the bitumen, just taking it easy and enjoying the quiet road. There were about a dozen bikes in town, all the riders grinning at their good fortune getting away for a Friday morning ride and catching this great weather in between the Heat waves!

On the way back I couldn't resist taking the old scenic road north of Toodyay.

The bitumen quickly gives way to a nice gravel road through some hilly pasture and farmland before moving into native forest.
The road follows the rail line much of the way

I have not taken this bike on loose gravel before so went slowly. I was rewarded with a surefooted ride the G/S behaved impeccably until some corrugations had me thinking the suspension might be set a bit hard (the bouncing unlocked the seat! but no drama, just pulled over and locked it back in).

Too soon it was back onto the bitumen and head for home back in time for lunch. Though I did see a number of side roads that really are asking to be explored. I think I'll have to borrow my son's GoPro and head back up there on the HPM. ;-)

Now for some forum participation!
The G/S has been throwing some oil on the rear wheel, at one point I thought it was just from the top filler plug. but now I am thinking it may be more ominous. Only the right/drive side of the wheel gets the spray, as you can now see thanks to the dust from this mornings ride.

There was no oil residue around or under the filler plug, checked the drain plug which had a new crush washer at last service. Looks to me like thats where it's coming from and I was able to nip it up another 1/8 of turn, so I hope that'l sort it. Any other views?

Dakar83 screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 04:14 AM
Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote