View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #6
naveenroy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Day 2 - 23rd Dec - 170 kms - Pondicherry to Velankanni

Hope you guys are still reading this report :)

My actual plan for this day was to spend it in Pondicherry - visiting the Aurobindo Ashram and Auroville and get high on beer. But I decided that it would be a better idea to travel home and be there with my folks for Christmas. I hadn't even told them that I was riding down the coast and that I would be home for only 2 days.

So I quickly called up my friend who was supposed to meet me in Pondicherry and told her of the change in plans. Had a nice breakfast and packed up the bike. I'd stayed at a nice inn in Pondicherry - wasn't too costly but clean and neat. A night cost me 1200 bucks - around INR1,152.73 ($21). The manager there personally took an interest in keeping the bike safe though it was parked on the road. He also offered to guide me to the road towards my next destination.

My next stop was Velankanni. Its a short ride away from Pondicherry and the roads were empty and good roads all the way.

P1010017 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

P1010018 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

(I really wish I can start posting images inline soon ) - EDIT - I just did!!

On the way, I stopped off at Tharangambady - this is the Tamil name of the old Danish settlement - Tranquebar. In fact, I guess the Danes still call it Trankebar. On the way to the Danish fort which still stands on the sea-shore, there is an old Danish church in great condition. People still use it for worship. I took a quick look-see inside the church and it was immaculately maintained.

P1010020 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

Rode onwards to the Danish fort

P1010021 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

Some old cannon - not so good shape though

P1010025 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

P1010026 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

This next pic is the entrance to the fort/church area

P1010027 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

I decided to then ride onwards to Velankanni - a small town famous for the Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health. Tourists come from all over the world to pray and worship here.

Reached the town much before noon - it was just a 170 km ride and settled in to a nice room. Good food - beef in the afternoon and I dozed off.

Not a religious person, I am more interested in the history and architecture of places of worship.

IMG_20121223_190517 by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

Took a quick walk around the town - the beach was empty and some unsavoury elements were walking about waving beer bottles. Next day - Rameshwaram. This is a temple town - famous for Dhanushkodi (which was swept away in the 1964 cyclone) and the Ramar bridge. Mythology :)

naveenroy screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 01:15 AM Reason: Inserted pictures inline
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote