Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Bumping an older thread;
This info might be above but I'm a little slow on the uptake. I have an Oregon 400c. This is the model that comes preloaded with BlueCharts for marine use. I use this as a backup unit on my boat.
I'm in early stage planning of a TET ride form NJ to FL on my 450 EXC. I don't really want to buy another GPS. Can I load the topo maps (I think this is what I need to navigate the TET?) into my 400C without permanently losing my BlueChart maps? I'm assuming only one mapset can be loaded at a time?
Your Oregon C will have no problem with multiple mapsets but be careful how you load the Topos or any others you want.
Here's what you should do:
- Connect your gps to your computer in mass storage mode.
- Run Web Updater to make sure your unit software is up to date.
- Update the gps, then reconnect it to the computer.
- Back up the gps to a directory on your computer using Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder just in case you make a mistake later.
- Go back to the gps and look for any *.img files. They are where maps are stored. If you see one called gmapsupp.img, change its name to something like original.img. Doesn't really matter what it's called as long as you know which file it is.
- Make sure your mapping software is up to date as well. You'll be using MapInstall (Windows), or (MAC) not MapSource.
- Run MapInstall to add your other maps (Help is here)
I think that's all there is to it.
Want to know more about the Garmin Montana? See the Wisdom and FAQ Thread.
"Don't play a lute to a cow" (Old Chinese Idiom)
"The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.