View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by drswift View Post
Option 1: Olympia Airglides (with the wp liners) and Gerbings for cold spells, and bring rain gear, or

I'm leaning to the Olympia for greater comfort range if it gets warm. Any suggestions (other than buying new gear).
Except for the trip from TX to FL in July/August I have yet to take a trip in the lower 48 where the Gerbings and good rain gear did NOT get used.

When I went to AK in '10, July/August I work Joe Rocket ballistic pants and jacket. The pants got warm in many places, and opened the zippers at the top for ventilation. The jacket, with the big air system worked well for the upper body. But several places, including in the lower 48 I had the Gerbing on full, and long johns on.

My preferred LD gear is a full perf leather jacket and semi-perf leather pants, with Gerbing and Triumph 1 piece rain suit (with a cord added in the pocket for the Gerbing). When I last fit into the pants I saw 40F -> 118F -> 35F in a 48 hour time span, all the time comfortable, all in the summer, between CO, AZ and CA !

Not to step on the toes of anyone with more experience riding in AK, but I would be prepared for 40F and rain.

IIRC first week of August, I had my Gerbing liner in when I rode into Valdez.

Have a great trip. If the stars align, I will be back up there this summer.

TxLoneRider screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 09:19 AM Reason: bad gramar
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote