View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #59
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 231
One more night...

I had a great night in Rathdrum last night, walked all over the town, had a few beers at every pub and managed to find funky spot called the Cartoon Inn to get snockered in. I'm kicking myself as I have a horrible habit of being so entertained with finding new places to drink that I forget to take pictures. Cool bar, great drinks and enough cartoon artwork on the walls to keep a drunk person busy laughing at pictures for most the night. Had I it to do over again I would have spent at least one more night in Rathdrum. If exploring the quirky town wasn't entertaining enough, it also backs up to a national forest with wicked twisties going through forest that feels like coastal Northern California.

As per usual, I loved the BnB I stayed at, thanks again Daphne and Pat for the beautiful accommodations. I arrived late and unannounced, they were nice enough to rent me their last room which happened to be a suite for the cost of the single. Great couple and their kid is a crack up. Irish breakfast and hit the road busting at the seams.

Back on the road.. a little bridge I took to get to a wool factory to load up on souvenirs.

Ruins of an old house where a saint used to live..

Coming Full Circle...
As stated before, serendipity seemed to shine on me throughout the trip making it a truly magical experience. Taking the time to listen to the little voice in the back of your head that tells you to take a random turn out of curiosity paid off more times then I could keep track of. From a few days ago, remember when I got lost and wound up on Joey Dunlop holy ground in Ballymoney? Here we go again.. After logging some miles out of Rathdrum and shooting past Dublin, I happened to see another gothic church on the side of the road that looked worth investigating.

I pulled off the road and started wandering around the grounds and wound up striking up a conversation with the grounds keeper. As the conversation naturally drifted towards motorcycles, my new friend Mike seemed genuinely shocked I had no idea of the motorcycle significance of where I was standing.. Turns out I was standing in the town of Skerries, home of the Skerries 100. A psychotic road race where they block off residential and country roads throughout Skerries to make a road race for the craziest of the crazy. The king of crazy being Joey Dunlop of course. Mike filled in on the history of the race, the history of Joey and even told me of the time he was lucky enough to run into Joey as he was arriving at the pub. Joey was just leaving the pub after winning yet another race, bike in the back of the truck and trophy in the passenger seat. Small world. And now I know who Joey Dunlop was..

Can you find Mike?

Medical Emergency #2
Somewhere between Newcastle and Portaferry I came around the corner to a bunch of freaked out people in the middle of the road, a car plowed into a rock wall and a little old lady slumped over in a car. I pulled over and offered a hand which gladly accepted and climbed in the car with a little old gal who was out cold. Still not sure what happened and I doubt she knows either but she definitely got her bell rung. I did a quick head to toe, held c-spine as best as I could in the situation and wanted for the ambulance. The ambulance came, I handed off and hauled ass to catch the next ferry for Portaferry :)

My stay in Portaferry was pretty uneventful. Quiet. Solemn. Bummed. There's nothing in town to eat but fish and chips and I'm dreading flying out in the morning.

Tomorrow: Haul ass to Lisburn and catch a plane.

"I never drive faster then I can see and besides that it's all in the reflexes." -JB
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote