View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
FYYFF OP
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,876
Anza Borrego & Breadshaw Trail - December 27-30, 2012

Since almost everyone was riding as the year 2012 comes to an end, we decided to have a little ride of our own. Most of LA gang headed down to Baja, a great ride but a little to far.
First, I and Rider914 decided to ride north of Death Valley, Hot Springs and up. But m1jeep pointed out that it was snowy and really cold in DV so we decided to south, to Anza Borrego and much anticipated historic Breadshaw Trail. Our little 2 men ride soon became a 5 men journey. I, Rider914, m1jeep, perro from hell and kkug.

Friday morning was cold. But those yellow leaves matched perfect with KTM Orange.

I met m1jeep at Yorba Linda and headed east to meet Rider914 at Hemet.

After a short pavement we hit dirt. Good, damp dirt. No dust, great traction. We were headed to Butterfield Ranch CG.

Matt had his 950 with a new soft luggage set up.

Did I mentioned it was cold??? Rich ATGATT.

Long way to go.

Some nice back-country roads

Indian Flats Campground. Matt said every time he was there, the gate was closed. So when we see the gate open, we headed down the road to take a look at it. It was a very nice, quiet and clean campground.

Next stop: Borrego Springs for lunch.

After lunch some more back-country & sand to Butterfield Ranch CG.

Just before we reached CG, I had a flat on my front and went down. I knew something was wrong for a while and stand up to see the tire. Right that moment, I had to turn left on a sandy section and went down (#1). Luckily I was getting good at changing flats and it didn't take long. We were back in the camp before dark. Meanwhile Matt got a good spot for our tents and some firewood. He also bought a 6 pack for the night.
The weather was as clean as it gets, millions of stars and a big full moon. Couple hours ago Diego text me asking to set up a ride for the weekend and when I told him we were already in Anza Borrego he decided to ride in dark and freezing cold to meet us at Butterfield. He made it to the CG around 10:30pm.

As always all the pictures are on my SmugMug.

Day 2 to come...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote