View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #714
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Read between the lines. He could've been on a Honda team if he paid. There was no money for him to be on the 3rd string Honda team. No sponsors would pick him up. His only option to stay in MotoGP and get PAID to ride was Ducati team 2.

He won't be anywhere near the podium this year. He'll be racing for 8th like all the other Ducatis. Ducati won't make any huge leaps forward, it just won't happen.

And there's a reason why Yamaha wanted him to set up the bike and ride like Lorenzo, because that's what works with the tires. Fast and smooth, not WSBK-like. He even says that. He wanted to ride it like a WSBK bike, but that just won't work unless you want to be fighting for 8th. Even Crutchlow has conceeded that fact and cleaned up his riding. It's all about loading the tires and being smooth, even with the new construction. That's why Rossi couldn't ride the Ducati. He couldn't load the tires like Stoner could on that thing. Neither could anyone else.

Sure, he's a nice guy and a great racer and all, but he's clinging to the edges of the series before being dropped off back at the WSBK paddock.
I've said it before, but I can't understand why some of these guys stay in GP other than to ride around and collect a check. I'm no Nicky or Ben, but if I had their talent I'd rather ride a competitive superbike and fight for wins/podiums than be mid-pack on a MotoGP bike. I don't think for a minute that those two are just collecting a paycheck, but I don't know why they would willingly subject themselves to mid-pack prison.
Motorcyclist is online now   Reply With Quote