View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
VargasD OP
Novato

Oddometer: 21
Yet another 800GS front suspension thread. This one is for noobs

I'll start out by saying I'm not a hardcore off-roader. I use my bike for my week-end job commute and for some leisure 300 km-400 km rides along twisty roads and gravel paths around towns in Costa Rica.

I think my 2009 F800GS is well-suited for the kind of riding I do. It's not too heavy, it's height is about right, and it has a nice engine. But then I rode 1.600 km on a G650GS Sertao covering a bicycle race this past December. I immediately noticed that the front suspension was firmer and did not dive as hard as my F800GS (on a cheaper bike!!!). I confess I kind of liked that front suspension better... but just the suspension.

I started reading about complaints on the F800's forks. "Too soft, too crappy" is what I mostly ran into.

So here's the thing. I'd like a firmer front suspension... just a tad firmer, but I don't believe I need a super-pro front fork setup.

Different oil, progressive springs, or just live with it. Does it make sense to put in springs just on the front? Will a different oil give me a little bit of firmness that I'm looking for?

I'd like to hear from more experienced F800GS owners their take on this.

Pura vida!
VargasD is offline   Reply With Quote