View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #11
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Nice 143 Max. Actually, it is a late 143 produced about 1976. The first model came out in 1975 and did not have the sidestand or tabs for them on the swingarm, only had a centerstand. Also the early ones had the larger tank with tool box and fiberglass fenders. I had one of each, bought the early model one in 1975 when it was new, and they are great bikes.
My 143 in my pix was a late model and I got an early model tank for it when I was restoring it. Many of the late 143's with the sidestand tab had damaged swingarms after years of idiots trying to start the bikes while standing on them with the sidestand down. That would eventually rip the metal tab out of the swingarm. I was fortunate to find a new original swingarm from a dealer in Canada when I restored my late model 143.
Thank you Fred, the photo show is really cool and your Frontera is beautiful. I am the second owner. I called it a '75 because the certificate of origin and orignial reciept are dated May of 1975 and it came from a local dealer, when I got it had less than 300 miles on the clock, but the crank and top end where roached because the po's little brother ran it out of gas and refilled it with straight gas, no premix. I have another 143 that looks like yours that I took on trade many years ago when I had my repair shop that is on the bench being reconditioned. That one has a higher serial number and has the toolbox tank, side stand and grab handles. I know what you mean about the side stand mount- it was damaged when I got the bike in November of '85. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the other Frontera.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote