View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 PM   #388
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 581
Sure, no worries.

The braces were an addition after last years trip to NZ where we spent quite a bit of time on corrugated roads and the whole dash almost shook itself to pieces. The supports have fixed it so well that last week when I got onto my wifes bike that is still to have them installed and rode 20 minutes on bitumen city roads I was amazed at how much the front end shakes even on good roads. It's an excellent mod, although I could see how some owners might think its ugly. For us though reliability is paramount as these bikes are a tool for travel and I was worried that the additional weight of the fairing with the Zumo, screen, spot lights, HID ballast, etc etc combined with bad roads something was going to break before too long.

The stays are made from stainless steel tube flattened at either end and drilled M8, I used a bit of bendy aluminium rod to get the shape and length right and form a template for the bends required to get them to clear the fork tubes. The upper end connects at the top of the slot that the screen is mounted in, there is therefore some loss of screen adjustment range but as I made custom screens that never need to be adjusted to maximum "up" it's not an issue. The bottom is attached by replacing the OEM bolt (see the pic below as I can't think how to describe which one it is) with a longer one and the addition of a nylock nut.

Mike.C screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 11:20 PM
Mike.C is offline   Reply With Quote