View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #16
viz
I Ride Ms Piggy

Oddometer: 1,809
Recently had a set of custom Wilbers made up - Wilburs because a highly respected guy in my area recommended them *for my application*...

We went through a lot of trouble to get our (me and the missus) weights right, fully clothed and all the luggage we would take on a trip. Then also solo without luggage. What I got was a package that worked from the bottom of the adjustment scale and went up from there; old shocks I had adjusted right to the top with nothing left and at 27,000 miles sagged badly - and unevenly from the front. Now the sag is even, very even, and minimal (within spec).

Biggest improvements - first off: way improved steering, regardless of load. I'll stress that - WAY improved. Better turn in, minimal countersteer, no more saw-toothing. Next - way improved handling of slow speed bumps (no more bottoming out) and high speed bumps, with a large adjustment range on the remote canister for both.

I think that if you went the way I did, any shock manufacturer is going to cost, with Íhlins being at the top, by far. I paid AUD$2300 for front and rear - worth it? Yeah - I got a new bike out of it...

Rear, showing high speed (red) and low speed (blue) bump adjusment. Note rebound adjustment is on the bottom of the shock

Rear, showing remote preload.

Front - has rebound adjustment, something the stock unit did not have

viz
viz is offline   Reply With Quote