View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by VargasD View Post
Thanks guys. Did a couple of things yesterday on the subject. 1, I read a bunch of info and saw some videos on suspension basics just to understand the basic terms. 2, Checked out my bike's owner's manual and they actually give you basic settings on the rear suspesion. Realized I had those messed up, changed them and took the F8 for a quick ride... no magic changes, but it's a good start to have the bike the way BMW intended it to be and improve from there.
Good that you did some reading to get the basic knowledge! Knowing that will obviously give you a better understanding of set-up and options for changes.

That being said I would recommend the Hyperpro progressive springs. The problems with stock are the springs are too soft for most (depending on weight and riding style/terrain) and poor valving (primarily compression damping) which leads to spiking, sitting too deep in the travel and bottoming too easily. Those both also lead to the "excessive" brake dive.

Hyprepros progressive springs keeps a soft initial stroke and then ramps up keeping the fork higher in the mid-stroke and then offers more progressive action to prevent bottoming.

They work! I noticed an immediate difference throughout the range. Better small bump performance, better mid-stroke performance (less spiking and blowing through the travel), less brake dive, and very good bottom out resistance.

They come with oil too which too which you'll definitely want to do if you've not changed the oil on your forks. The oil is a slightly different weight (that's a whole other story since unlike engine oil fork oil weight is not standardized) and works well too.

Here's page 8 of the major thread that talks about the Hyperpro options:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=527133&page=8

lazy install method on page 10 of that thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...527133&page=10

Lot's of "experience" from itsatdm on there . One of the first to try a myriad of suspension options for us!
Thanks!

It's easy to do and a relatively inexpensive way to make a big difference to the ride on both road and gravel/dirt IMHO! Hyprepros (or the like) I think will work well for you.

Pre-load on the back end of the bike is also very important to the handling so make sure you change it depending on what you're carrying! If it's too soft the bike doesn't want to turn as well for one.

Dave

www.motooverland.com

toowheels screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 11:31 AM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote